Old April 23rd 04, 01:07 AM
Jon Kraus

Allen,

Basically just nerves mostly... A couple of things contributed to that.
One was that I agreed to be this DE's first IFR checkride... that being
so, we had the FAA examiner with us examining him... My oral was 3 hours
long and this about wiped me out... He asked me everything under the
sun... I survived this but the weather took a turn for the worse so we
didn't go up after the oral portion. I was on my way home after the oral
when some turned their car right in front of me and before I could stop
I clipped their back end... First damn accident I have been in in 15
years or so... It kinda shook me up a little but I didn't think it was
too bad... This morning we were to do the flight portion of the
test... I had everything set up for my clearance and was told after take
off to intercept V305 and head north. I was then to to hold at the WELDO
intersection... I was thinking cool I have done exact thing several
times... What I didn't realize is that V305 is real close to V96 and I
had tuned in the wrong redial on the OBS... When things didn't start
centering when they should have I began to double check and caught my
error.. By the time I determined what was wrong I had blown through the
intersection and that threw me for a loop... I got confused and that is
when the DE said that it was an unsat maneuver... Really no excuses...
I blew it and will take responsibility... Look for my post next
Wednesday that I passed the recheck :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA
A Lieberman wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

Took my IFR checkride today and busted... I screwed up the holding
pattern big time and that was that...

Hey Jon,

Appreciate your post. I am getting closer to that time.... What part
of holding did you bust, timing? Entry? Suggestions for my check ride
to come down the road???

Allen