Old June 26th 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

Default hydraulic disk brake upgrade

Hello,
Has anyone done a disc brake replacement of an original drum brake?
I have reverse engineered a replacement 400x4 wheel for my SHK-1 which uses a hydraulic disk and caliper, and a beringer stick mounted lever master cylinder all employing dot 4 brake fluid, (EPDM seals throughout)
The original axle, and retractable landing gear are not modified and are retained, the new components all weigh within 2 lbs of the original (Zundapp motorcycle) wheel. The new wheel required fabrication of spacers and the construction of a new torque arm using existing gear leg anchor "lug".
My glider is not identified in any Schempp-Hirth supplemental TC's for a disk brake modification, however, the tost disk brake conversions are all termed "minor alterations" in the Easa documentation for Discus-Ventus etc.
Further, Schempp-Hirth has informed me that they no longer support the SHK, due to resource management considerations.

I am mostly interested in fellow glider owners who would be willing to supply a copy of any 337's, or logbook entries concerning the installation of a disk brake, and or a beringer lever master cylinder into a standard type certificated glider. My A&P AI would be performing the installation, and is interested in how others have documented these installations.
If other Owners were only willing to share their experience (and Tail number), I could get copies of the 337 from the FAA.
This is essentially an installation of owner produced parts, not to be sold..

I guess I should also put in here that I have read most of the prior threads about Vintage brake, arcing pads, the kobold/hydraulic/cable kit, Modifying the drum shoes to be "self energizing" and just living with an ineffective factory brake.
So, Thanks for reading, and here's to a safe and fun season!

Good Lift,
Scott W.