Old April 19th 10, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

Default SR-71

"Maple1" wrote in message

Not that one it is an sr71 I believe that is a later modification

What is the story with that? I had never noticed that on other models
of the 71. Is that damage, or a feature, and if it is a feature, what
is it designed to do - if you or someone knows?
--
Jim in NC

The original aircraft from which the SR-71 sprang was the Lockheed A-11.
It then morphed into the YF-12. Finally, it became the SR-71. The A-11
and the YF-12A sported a different nose/chine configuration than what you
finally got to see on the SR_71.

Nick

Hmmmm....curious/strange. I went and had a look and you are right. My foggy
memory failed me. The A-11/YF-12A nosecones were different but not like what
is present in that image. It almost seems like an intermediate morph between
the A-11/YF-12A and the SR-71.

The other possibility is that someone bent it.

Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YF-12A.jpg