Old November 20th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

Default The "darker side" of flying (Night Landings) with ATC COMS - Video

In article
,
" wrote:

On Nov 19, 5:49*pm, Steve Hix
wrote:

I've seen it three times.

Twice from a beach near my younger daughter's place near Lahaina, Maui.

Once on Hwy 152 about 20 miles west of Los Banos, CA, southeast of San
Jose.

All three times under clear, non-cloudy skies, with very little haze.

I know it has to do with the bending of the rays and such, and it's
brief at best but will a video pick it up?

It's possible, but not usually easy. For one thing, the proper
refractive conditions aren't common most places.

Some place that commonly has coastal inversion layers would likely be
worth looking for.

And it's pretty easy to overexpose the event, which usually washes out
the color enough that you can't tell if it's green or not.

I videoed the whole thing
and didn't see it. One would think, from the comforts of cruise
altitude it would be a common event?

Here are a couple of videos:
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/gfvid1.htm

This one is good at showing how brief the flash happens, being shot from
the deck of a boat doesn't help, either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvIe...eature=related