Old October 5th 03, 06:15 PM
Ray Andraka

Jay, mine has a pointer on the top of the thing where the knob is. The pointer
moves forward and aft as you turn the knob. Mine's a '65 Six. I'm sure it can
be adjusted, I just don't know the procedure. Probably involves taking the trim
screw assembly apart. Check the maintenance manual.

Jay Honeck wrote:

When I flew it and took it up to cruise, the plane flew straight
without that 'banking' feeling. But, my rudder trim continues to be
pretty far right. With the rudder trim indicator in the middle, I
have to apply a lot of right rudder. Is this normal, or should I get
it to the point that I can have the rudder trim centered. On the
ground with the front wheel straight and the rudder trim in neutral,
the rudder is dead center, too.

What kind of rudder trim indicator is on a Six?

The same kind that's on a Cherokee - the knob to the right of the
emergency brake handle.

Okay, well, if that's the case I don't understand the question. How do you
know that the rudder trim is "in neutral" when all you've got is a knob that
turns?

The only way I can tell my rudder trim is "in neutral" is by adjusting it in
flight until the ball is centered.

I suppose if you're counting the number of turns, lock to lock -- and
there's more turns from "neutral" one way than the other -- your A&P can
adjust the number of turns around the post for you? On the other hand,
what difference does it make, so long as you are able to adjust the trim
adequately so that the ball is centered?

Or are you concerned that the nosewheel pant is being cocked to the right
because you're having to adjust the trim too far one way or the other? This
could, I suppose, impart a turning force, given the size of the wheelpant --
but then the ball wouldn't be centered, would it?

For my money, if you're able to trim out the rudder forces adequately in all
flight regimes, the expense of adjusting the number of turns around the knob
isn't worth it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA