Old October 6th 03, 03:34 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, mine has a pointer on the top of the thing where the knob is. The
pointer
moves forward and aft as you turn the knob.

By God, Ray, today Mary and I "discovered" the pointer you are talking
about! During a flight to Wisconsin today I mentioned your post to Mary --
and, with the autopilot working again, we had plenty of time to goof
around -- so we peered down at our ankles and played with the rudder trim
knob, and "found" the rudder trim pointer in the little oval cutout just
above the rudder trim knob.

Mind you, I've been flying Cherokees for over nine years now, of all flavors
and vintages, and have accumulated nearly 800 hours in them -- and I have
NEVER seen that pointer there before, nor has anyone ever mentioned it to
me. I suppose because it is of such limited value (the pointer moves up and
down, for gosh sakes -- what does THAT indicate in side-to-side rudder
trim?), and also because it is nearly invisible down there by your shins,
neither of us had ever noticed it before! (It doesn't help that our
indicator is painted black, instead of white like the rudder trim indicator.
I'm going to remedy that next time I've got the touch-up paint out.)

So, just when you think you know everything about your airplane, along comes
something like this. Next I'll discover that my gear is supposed to
retract, or sumpin'...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA