Old February 17th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

Steven Barnes wrote:
I believe the only time you can ignore a course reversal is:
* Timed approach from a fix
* Coming in on a segment labeled NoPT (such as the typical left or right IAF
on a standard "T" GPS approach)
* Vectors to Final.

Cleared direct to the IF/IAF doesn't necessarily mean you're getting
vectors. Maybe, maybe not. I've been cleared to an IF/IAF just to get me in
line farther out from the FAF. Shortly before getting to the IF/IAF, I'm
given the spiel of "x miles from FAF, maintain y until..." Thump the Vectors
to Final button OR just take the GPS out of OBS HOLD mode & on to the FAF
you go.

If I don't hear the controller tell me I'm getting vectors to final, I will
ask. If it turns out I'm not, I've got the full approach already up &
running.

You need to get up to date on this procedure. It became policy about
three AIMs back.