Old February 17th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Stan Prevost wrote:

FPL, push small knob to get cursor, scroll down to airport, CLR, ENTER to
confirm, FPL to get back to NAV page.

vs

PROC, ENTER.

True enough. But, the bit of extra stuff earlier on is none the less
easier and I don't have to worry about making sure I am where I am
supposed to be if I "activate."

And if you have to change approaches, which sometimes happens, you can't
select a new one without a destination airport.

John Collins informed me, and I confirmed on the sim, that if you delete the
destination airport waypoint from the flight plan, and then need to select a
different approach, the 430 will assume the former destination airport and
will allow you to select a new procedure at that airport.

It is rare to fly the full approach in a TRACON environment. But, if it
is a single approach in each direction, you will usually still know early
on.

I don't find that it is rare to fly an RNAV approach from an IAF at a
satellite airport served by a TRACON (yes at the primary airport). VOR
approaches or others with PTs, yes, but not Basic T and TAA GPS approaches.
But it is not too uncommon for an airport or runway to be turned around
after you have been told what approach to expect.