Old February 18th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

Stan Prevost wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

I then delete KBDN and have

LKV
URBIA

Approach

DSD
FOMBO
hold
HEKIL
RW16
JOGON
SAKKO
hold

Everything will sequence without any further action on my part through
the missed approach.

When I pass within 30 miles of the ARP I will have terminal
sensitivity and 2 miles prior to HEKIL I will have approach mode.
Since approach annunciates at that time I have approach RAIM.

OK, that is pretty much what I understood. And I understood that once
you pass URBIA, your navigation will be to the IAF (or feeder fix,
whichever it is) DSD. But you haven't been cleared to DSD, you have
only been told to EXPECT that approach, nothing more, and you are still
cleared URBIA.KBDN, and must continue to fly that route until cleared
otherwise.

Ok, okay. 20 miles southeast of URBIA, Seattle Center says, "Cross
URBIA at, or above 10,000, cleared for the Bend RNAV Zula Runway 16
approach. Report HEKIL."

If that didn't happen I would be bugging them before URBIA. Remember, I
didn't specify the filed route; rather just gave the waypoints. The
filed route would be KEMT..DARTS..LHS..AMONT..EHF.J5.LKV.V165.DSD..KBDN

URBIA would be in my Garmin flight plan sequence because it is an MEA break.

BTW, I was at KBDN this summer, long way from home base in Alabama. Had
interesting tours of Columbia plant and Epic plant.

I lived in Bend as a second home in the 1980s until late 1990. The
airport was very quiet then compared to now. The new LPV approach (just
effective last Thursday) is a significant improvement.

And, if I were arriving on that route this soon after the effective date
the center might very well not even be aware of the new Zulu approach. ;-)