Old February 18th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

Stan Prevost wrote:

"Mitty" wrote in message

On 2/17/2008 4:54 PM, Stan Prevost wrote the following:
snip

I wonder what the response would be if one called Garmin and asked if
they approve using the navigator this way?

Try it! I have had extremely good luck with Garmin tech support
transferring me to very knowledgeable people when I had something
besides the usual RTFM questions. My guess is that the manuals are
the problem and that the behavior is in the design spec.

I would call them if I understood why I might have anything to gain from
doing so. I don't yet understand how using the undocumented
self-activation "feature" helps anything.

Stan

Here is the official answer from my Garmin associate. He is about at
the top of the engineering food chain the

"Documented or not, I say what you are doing is fine.

We specifically designed the approach selection to do what you describe
because a pilot might learn on an ATIS frequency that he should expect a
particular approach/transition long before he's actually cleared for it.
So, the pilot can get ahead of the game by selecting the
approach/transition and placing it into the flight plan while still
navigating to the airport on his existing clearance. Then, once cleared
for the approach/transition, he can remove the airport from the flight
plan as you indicate, activate a direct-to the initial approach fix, or
whatever he is cleared to do to get established on the approach."