Old August 8th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Ka-6 Variants

Yes, the CrPE is a bit more rare. However, there are two of them based at
my field! And they are the two that were at the 1964 Nationals, at
McCook, Nebraska. One flown by Graham Thompson, and one (mine) by Rudy
Mozer. The truely rare are what is sometimes called a "Ka-6-0" (Ka-6
Zero), or a Ka-6BrPE.

Also at my field are two Brs, two Crs, and an E. Yes, Nick, N6501D is
still at Sunflower. It hasn't been very active lately, as the owners
have been rather busy. But, they did get it inspected last Fall. I
haven't seen either or them or the plane since, though. Rudy Mozer is
here at Uvalde, and he flew N6501D to his Diamond Distance from Adrian,
Michigan, to Frederick, Maryland, ifI remember the article correctly.
Just under 400 miles.

Not sure why the manual would suggest the bottom pin first. Maybe to
prevent you from trying to raise the tips high enough to get a pin in the
top when the wings weren't all the way together?

Ka-6s are great fun airplanes. They are light, easy to rig, handle
wonderfully, are inexpensive, and there is just something about flying a
wooden glider that is an experience you just can't get when flying
anything else.

And, I am having fun at Uvalde, even though I am falling back down the
scoresheet. On the plus side, I don't have far to fall! Great Job at
Parowan with the Twin, Nick!

Steve