Old October 2nd 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Why is LOP (lean of peak) controversial?

karl gruber wrote:

Call TA...............see what they say.

FWIW, I just got off the phone with both TA Turbo and JPI.

TA Turbo stated that, while low of average, seeing 320 degrees as the
hottest CHT at 12,000 feet with WOT, 2500 RPMs and about 70 degrees LOP is
*not* unrealistic.

JPI's very overworked tech (I was on hold for one hour) gave me three tests
to ensure the unit is working correctly:

1) Confirm that CHT and EGT are registering ambient temperature when the
aircraft has been shut down for a day or so. Of course, my aircraft's
Tannis heater is plugged in today so this test will have to wait until I
fly to my destination this week and let it sit for a couple of days.

2) Pull the probe and submerge it in boiling water to confirm that it reads
212 degrees F.

3) Separate the probe from the wire and measure the probe's resistance. It
should register 1.3 to 2.0 olms.

I will start with number one this week, then perhaps move on to 2 and 3
next week when my aircraft goes in for a 50 hr oil change and other sundry
items.

--
Peter