Old July 19th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More trailer tire/wheel issues

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:45:22 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:11:01 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Clay
You should have your bearings/ brakes checked out by a mechanic if you can't do it yourself.
Getting hot like you describe is not right.
Your not going to get very far with them heating up on a flat short drive.

I cannot confirm any of these described design deficiencies! My ~2012 vintage Cobra dual-axle trainer got moved across the US from SC to NM now four times - 1,600 miles each way - plus once to CO and back over some pretty punishing road surfaces. I installed a TPM system and keep an eye on the pressure and temperature of each wheel. Even during the long descent on I-70 west of Denver or while doing the 'Million Dollar Hwy' did the tire temperature not increase notably. I always check the hubs during gas stops and never burnt my finger.
The only thing I need to change now is the damper in the over-running brake, which seems to have gotten weak.
Please note that these trailers in Germany are subject to a state inspection every two years, where the brake and light system is checked, so regular maintenance is advised and generally accepted for the sake of keeping them safe.
The argument 'they don't use large pick-ups and SUVs over there, so we don't need brakes on our trailers here' is laughable! Once the towing vehicle is no longer perfectly in line with the trailer, the trailer will try to pass you - no matter what you are sitting in. The 'Auflaufbremse' or overrunning brake system is designed to keep the trailer behind the towing vehicle longer.

Uli
'AS'

I'm with Uli (AS). Knocking German enschineering is just not right, you hear that, Chip? You all should learn German anyway, would help when you study our "Auflaufbremse".
Herb, J7, flying and trailering in Tscherman Enschineered machines.