Old July 24th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default SB643B-Bendix mags *mandatory* overhaul every 4 years now?

Newps wrote:
: Tell your idiot IA buddy to prove to you that a manufacturer has the
: ability to force a part 91 owner/operator to replace components. The
: FAA came out with their letter several years ago. Google for it or call
: any FSDO.

My "idiot IA buddy" was told *explicitly* at his IA renewal seminar this past spring by the (Richmond) FSDO instructor
that SB's that carry the "Instructions for Continued Airworthiness" must be complied with just like and AD. Just looking at the
FAR's, it appears that's the case:

http://www.amtonline.com/publication...ubId=1&id=2522

The only information I've found to the contrary is from AOPA and FAA letters of interpretation
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite.../060614sb.html.

If I were in my IA's shoes, I'd feel bound by the FAR's as well. I'm thinking that siding with the AOPA
interpretation is plausible, but it's certainly not obvious.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *