Old September 8th 05, 12:01 AM
Vaughn

wrote in message

I was embarrassed.

Don't be! I have brought ATPs back down drenched in sweat after a quick
initial lesson. I quickly learned to prepare such students for what usually
happens so they would not feel humiliated if they could not immediately perform.
I have had a few that could stay in position behind the tow plane on the first
try...damn few. IMO Instrument time and helicopter time seems to help because
they teach you not to over control.

I could not keep the glider (a Blanik) anywhere
close to remaining calmly behind the tug. I was all over the sky and
was acutely aware that I must be yanking the tug's tail back and forth
and up and down.

Perfectly normal. Sooner of later you acquire the proper circuitry between
your eyes, your brain, your hand and your feet. Then you will wonder why it was
ever an issue.

Three times I was rescued by the guy giving me the ride

Only three times? That is actually pretty good!

I have never had a student who could not eventually learn to do a safe tow.
I had a hard time myself.

Vaughn

, although by
the last time I was beginning to understand that the tow rope itself
could bring the nose back.

I had not prior instruction before the ride, I really thought it would
not be a problem. BZZZZZT wrong.

Once we cast off, holding headings, holding airspeed and just keeping
the wings level wasn't a problem. I was astonished at how far we
could travel at 60 mph without seeming to loose much altitude. Heck,
I've lost more altitude than that when I was flying cross country and
TRYING to hold my cruise altitude. :-)

One of the more expert glider pilots reassured me that all first
timers have the same problems, and told me that I should concentrate
on holding the wings the same as the tug, and using the rudder to stay
behind it.

I wasn't doing it that way, I was sawing back and forth with the stick
and getting into all kinds of trouble.

I'm eager to try again, but I thought I'd drop in here and ask how
folks stayed behind the tug... If you all can remember back when you
were at my stage. ;-)

Thanks, Corky Scott