Old October 22nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default Diving to steepen approach

On Oct 22, 5:58 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I find it a very useful technique if I am high enough on final to use
it. Generally, I use it shortly after turning final as I realize I am
too high, even with full spoiler. That's when I have 500' agl or so,
which is plenty. Going from 50 knots to 70 knots (watch the flap setting
speed) doubles the rate of energy loss. When I slow down to 50 knots
again (still at full spoiler), my new "aim point" is much closer, and I
can reduce the spoilers to (ideally) about half.

All this is way outside my experience, and I'm not going to attempt it
myself (though I might nobble an instructor experienced at it).
However I still have a question: do you dive and then return to normal
approach speed before rounding out, or round out at the much faster
speed? If the latter, does not the extra float in ground effect negate
the losses from extra drag in the dive, especially with a slippery
glass ship versus a draggy wood and fabric glider (such as one a pilot
might train in)?

Dan