Old May 5th 05, 07:36 PM
Keith

In message , Alistair
Wright writes

In the UK in my time (some years ago now) whenever I landed in a farmer's
field I always offered the farmer a free ride in a two-seater if he cared to
turn up at our Club. I have been royally entertained by farmer's wives all
over England. Once I even got invited to a birthday party that was going on
in the house next my landing field. I wasn't intoxicated when I landed, but
I sure was by the time the retrieve arrived! Twice the farmer who turned up
for his free ride actually joined the club and went on to solo!!

Aeons ago, when I was doing my silver distance from the Wrekin GC at
Cosford, I had to radio base to say I was landing out in "a nice big
field near a power station", about 10 miles west of the airfield. I
expected a couple of hour's wait for the recovery, and was very
surprised to see the Chipmonk drop into the field about 15 minutes
later. Thoughts of a quick retrieve were dashed when the Tug's passenger
jumped into 'my' K8, and I was ordered to hold the wingtip, then to
"keep running east". As the aerotow roared off over the eastern
boundary, the farmer appeared from the opposite direction, one hand on
the tractor's steering wheel, the other waving a shotgun. I did as I was
told!

I reckon it would have to be a pretty dour individual who was not impressed
by having a glider land on his property.

I learned in the bar, hours later, having walked back, that the farmer
was notorious, and had prevented gliders being retrieved from his field.

--
Keith