Old February 3rd 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Robert M. Gary writes:

You won't convince me of that.

That is not my objective, and of course there is a lot of individual
variation.

You miss out on nearly all the sensations of flying.

Not everyone flies for sensations. Flying commercial airliners provides
little in the way of sensations, and yet many pilots of such aircraft seem to
enjoy it, just the same.

When I go out to the Aeronca I smell the fresh grass from the runway,
I hear the birds. When I get in the plane I smell the wonderful aroma
of avgas and oil. I feel the wooden prop on my hands as I give the
engine its breath of life. I feel the sensation of bounced down the
grass runway and I feel the G load as I make a quick left turn to
avoid the nearby class D airspace. I see the mountains 200 miles
away on a clear and and see the snow caps on them. I hear the 65 hp.
Cont purring away.

Almost none of this appeals to me, and the parts that do are mostly simulated.

I honestly would not have the patience to sit in from of a computer
but I love smelling the flowers as I make a low pass over the fields.
That is what flying is about to me.

I agree, if that's what flying is about, you wouldn't enjoy a simulator. You
wouldn't enjoy the flight deck of a 747, either.

A lot of private pilots seem to like this sensation stuff, but there are many
sorts of pilots and they don't all get the same types of satisfaction out of
flying.