Old May 15th 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Volkslogger - No Log Download Success "data -transfer ready!"

Hi Darryl,

I previously sold the Trip-lite converter, but it didn't work for me with
Windows 7-64 bit. They didn't have a driver for that system. I have been
using the FTDI Chip cable ever since with very good results.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:25:17 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:32:21 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:

FTDI based converters do not have a good reputation for reliability and
have suffered from driver problems in the past. I would never recommend
them. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers again, or
just give up and get a better converter. Here is a likely much better
converter (I use them on PCs and Macs for lots of uses).
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA.../dp/B0000VYJRY

Whether that fixes your problem or not who knows, but I'd never waste
time with an FTDI chipset based converter.

I've suffered in past with FTDI issues, but current FTDI products and
drivers seem MUCH better... YMMV ! There are a lot of dysfunctional
USB-serial converters out there.

Please let us know when you find the source of your problem,

Best Regards, Dave

Its often a driver issue. FTDI's past drivers have really been garbage with
awful support, and it seems to have taken them years to maybe finally
address this. Congratulations if it works now, one little OS change and who
knows how long it will take them to fix problems. I just would not touch
them with a barge pole. The Trip-Lite converter I referenced has a nice TI
chipset. Its much better regarded all round. Its a bit of a darling in the
Linux hacker community where folks who have reversed engineered the adapter
and worked out how to reprogram it. FTDI is the same company responsible for
the USB adapter chip in the Cambridge 302. And that's not exactly been
problem-free. They went out marketing this to lots of companies as an easy
to implement USB to serial adapter for embedded use that they would deal
with driver support, then really did a lousy job of fixing bugs and keeping
drivers current.

Darryl