Old March 4th 14, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default Stall/spin and ground reference maneuvers

Just because you perceive something doesn't mean that you have to pay attention to it. The most important things in a pattern turn (or low altitude thermalling) are perfectly coordinated turns and proper airspeed. Scans for traffic and feeling for lift are fine, but who cares what the ground does?

One does look at the airport when initiating the turn from base to final, but once the turn starts all you need to do for the next 5 seconds is look over the nose for pitch, yaw and bank. The airport will appear when you need it without having to search for it.

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:09:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:54:30 AM UTC-8, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
The insidious part is what you perceive in your peripheral vision unconsciously.

True. Peripheral vision is terrible at detail but very good at picking up angular motion.

Plus, last time I checked I was looking pretty close to down the wing as I initiated the turn from base to final. Aren't you supposed to look at the runway, not straight ahead into the countryside, on base leg? Once you're established on final there's not much turning anyway.

9B