Old May 28th 17, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Thinking about buying a DG400

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!

First of all, although I am a comerial pilot, my experience in pure sailplanes is very little (don´t reach 100h). Do you recommend me to wait to have more experience in pure sailplane before making the transition?

Second point, I´m not very handy, I don´t have any type of experience in mechanics so any problem the plane has I would have to go to a workshop. Is that a big inconvenience? This problem would happen to me with any type of glider that I buy. I must make my mind that if I buy a glider I will speed more mony than the average because I wouldn´t do anything.

Third and last point. I´ve also been thinking about buying a PIK20E. I´ve seen one with 1500H and 147 engine hours. It is cheapper than the DG400 but the drawback is that it has a 3000h limit which cannot be extended because the manufacturer no longer exist. This means that if i buy it, and in the future I want to change to a higher performance glider, it would be very difficult to sell it (or simply impossible as it get closer to the 3000h). Another negative is that if it need more maintenance that other plane it wouldn't be a good choice for me because as I've set before, I don't have any experience with mechanics.

Alfonso