Old July 31st 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 7:26:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 12:45:36 PM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9:25:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I would choose ADSB over PowerFlarm now, for a glider and a towplane.

Yeah, right, I'm not holding my breath for all those club gliders to get ADS-B out! PF is the way to go for gliders; of course ideally, tow planes should have both.

Kirk

Kirk, with respect, are you holding your breath for all those club gliders to get Flarm? ADSB is CLEARLY the 'way to go' for best traffic awareness in the USA.

I totally agree. FLARM may be OK for contests, but for those of us who soar recreationally, GA and airliners are just as big a threat as other gliders.

I was talking to uAvionix at Oshkosh last week, and they have the perfect solution for us: SkyEcho2 (https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/). It is 1090ES ADS-B OUT and dual band ADS-B IN and supports FLARM. Cost is ~$500. The only problem is that it is not FCC or FAA approved in the US. We need to get the SSA and AOPA on the bandwagon to get this approved.