Old July 31st 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 7:26:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Kirk, with respect, are you holding your breath for all those club gliders to get Flarm? ADSB is CLEARLY the 'way to go' for best traffic awareness in the USA.

No, it is not "CLEARLY" the way to go. Sure, it would be great if all gliders had a transponder and ADS-B OUT/IN for traffic AWARENESS and PowerFLARM glider mid air collision AVOIDANCE (NOT THE SAME THING, GUYS); but there is absolutely NO WAY that is going to happen in the glider fleet, until someone comes up with an inexpensive transponder/ADS-B out setup for pure gliders. Not seeing that anywhere in the US yet (Europe, yes, of course -sigh....).

I would be that the majority of club gliders don't even have working radios - much less transponders!

So given the economics of it - my first choice (for gliders, not motor gliders) is a PowerFLARM, then a transponder/ADS-B setup when it becomes practical - especially for towplanes. And that is what I'm pushing for our club ships (after we get all our radios in and working - almost there!).

Kirk
66