Old December 1st 04, 04:42 AM
Dan Thompson

Also plane crashes are newsworthy because something bad has happened to
"good" people. I.e., us, friends.

Let's step way back for the big picture view, drop the customary caution,
and say it: airplane people are from the top drawer of society. We are
successful enough to afford flying, smart enough to be able to learn it, and
persistent enough to see it through. If it were high school, we're in the
top 1% of the class. Not too many crack whores out on the flight line.

So, there is melodrama and entertainment value in a news tory where, for
example, a dentist and his family make a smoking hole in the ground on
Thanksgiving. A gazillion other people from all walks of life also bought
it on Thanksgiving in an untold number of mundane ways, but if it happened
to one of us, it was news.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

PaulH wrote:

News outlets seem to focus on small plane crashes for reasons I've
never understood.

Because if it happens frequently, it's not news. They concentrate on them
because crashes don't happen very often.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to
have
been looking for it.