Old March 26th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don[_3_]

Default Handicapping

Our club, the Central Indiana Soaring Society, has used a format that has
been very successful and itis fairly simple. We have two classes of pilots:
those who have acheived Gold Distance and those who have not. The ships are
handicapped using the official SSA handicap list each year. Minimum
handicapped flight distance must be 30 miles for novice class and 50 miles
for advanced class. Mnimum time on course must be one hour. For there to
be a "contest day", at least 3 qualifying flights must be submitted.
Scoring is based on speed, but we also give a "distance bonus": a pilot is
given scoring bonus of 1% for each ten miles over the scratch distance (30
or 50 miles). For instance, a day winner who flew 130 handicap miles would
get 1000 points plus 80 points if he were in the advanced class.
Contestants just email their flight traces to the scorer who uses SeeYou to
evaluate. We allow multiple turnpoints. We allow team flying. The rules
are simple and I'll be happy fwd them to anyone who emails me. Our club has
about 60 active members, and 14 of them participated in the contest last
year.