Old June 7th 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

Default Where are you Butterfly vario?

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:24:15 PM UTC-4, David A wrote:

1. It has a built-in G-meter. Can it use it to change from cruise to
thermal mode automatically (like the LNAV) instead of a manual switch?

You can switch automatically, though this is based on IAS (configurable threshold).

2. What about vector wind calculations and headwind component? (again,
like the LNAV).

What about it?
I believe that wind is used to calculate arrival altitude (because, as per manual, it can be set manually when GPS is unavailable), but wind direction and strength are not displayed. I think this makes sense as these values won't be available individually without an accurate compass, which the V7 does not have.

Despite the wealth of data, I would classify the V7 as a vario, not a primary (in the practical sense) navigation instrument. And it's a fantastic vario at that. A PDA with the right software will do the best job calculating wind and integrating the data with task and terrain.