Old March 28th 16, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Default Double Release Failure on Tow

Not this again! Yer gonna die!

Seriously, after signals are exhanged, and within a very conservative glide of the field (like overhead) open the brakes, fly normal high tow position and wheel land. Use brakes sparingly to only keep the rope taught and not run over it. The odds of a tug being able to stop more rapidly than a glider are small, short of the tug ground looping or other wreckery.

L.O.T. used to be a pre-solo confidence building maneuver employed liberally at Skylark North, CA. An instructor demo touch-and-go followed by a student touch-and-go and then a full stop by the student. Very rare that the student needed anything other than some verbal coaching.

Oh, and what JS said, much fun, and the student confidence index soared!

Double release failure = statistical nonevent. Kind of like glider-glider midairs in the USA. Maybe we need auto-LOT technology coupled to our FLARM's in case we have a potential traffic conflict while LOT-ing?

But yer gonna die..... but probably not doing LOT's or in a glider-glider midair.