Old November 1st 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

Default No Gyro and ILS approach with ATC COMS - Video

I did two approaches today, each in separate videos.

First one is an ILS approach into HKS Jackson Hawkins airport in VMC
conditions. Purpose of this approach was to "warm up" for my next
approach which was a no gyro approach into KJAN Jackson MS.

Both videos contain ATC communications as well as my own ramblings on
what I was thinking or doing during each approach.

When I say flaps down, that is my flap handle is going down, flaps are
actually going up :-)

The No Gyro approach has the instrument panel for the part of the
video. Camera is secondary to flying the plane, so bear with the
camera work. The no gyro video is best viewed full screen so you can
read the ground tracking on the Garmin 430 GPS.

During the no gyro approach, I was assigned a discrete frequency when
I departed HKS, and only one approach controller worked me from
beginning to end of the approach. Once I got "visual" the radio
chatter resumed.

ILS KHKS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbw1JY6SbI
No Gyro KJAN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElsOEU0cJ1E

Practicing these ny gyro approaches from what I am told is a win win
situation for ATC and myself. ATC is required to do a number of these
to maintain their currency so why not do this on a severe clear day
and when there is not much traffic.