Old December 14th 04, 03:34 AM
Janet

Newps wrote:

Cub Driver wrote:

I've never understood why anyone would use a debit card. (Europeans do
this all the time, which right away ought to put you on guard!)

Somebody lifts my wallet and runs out to buy a new plasma TV with the
card they find.

Credit card: I tell Visa, "Fraudelent transaction! Deal with it!" No
problem whatever.

Debit card: I beg the bank not to bounce the checks I've written at
$25 per bounce as long as my checking account is empty. Meanwhile I
can't get any cash at the ATM. Very bad scene.

Maybe at your bank, then you need another bank. If I call before the
transaction then the card won't work anywhere, every card is like that.
If I call within a reasonable amount of time of the theft then all
sales from the time I give them are voided and the money returned to me.

That's great, but how do you know when "before the transaction" is? If your
card number is compromised before you know it, your money can be debited
while your card is in your own pocket. A new twist involves creating a new
card with your number saved on the magnetic strip.