Old August 27th 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 08:21:14 -0700, kirk.stant wrote:

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 10:03:17 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud
wrote:

Just to point out some places do not have comms between glider and tow.
Just signals.

Yeah, cuz radios are so, like, expensive and hard to use!

Tow planes without radios (and transponders and soon, ADS-B out) are
dangerous, IMO. And there really is NO excuse not to have some kind of
radio in every glider.

Our club is getting there, slowly. Unfortunately our most commonly used
trainer is a Blanik L-13AC, and our A&Ps can't find a legal way to put a
battery in it.

Use a handheld?

Some ICOM models can be fitted with a mic on a coiled lead and can be
Velcro'd to the panel.

When I bought my Libelle (in the UK) it had an ICOM (A3 IIRC) fitted on
the panel without its battery. The radio was mounted on a Velcro disk
stuck to an 80mm blanking plate and powered from the aircraft battery.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org