Old October 2nd 18, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Finegan[_2_]

Default Derelict trailer & glider abandoned at Byron CA airport

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 9:40:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
In early October 2017 someone abandoned a derelict trailer & glider in our lineup at the Byron airport. The glider is a S-H Standard Austria serial number 53, N814Z. It was deregistered by the US FAA in year 2013. The last owner is listed as Frank LaValley of Fridley MN. There is an obituary against his name in May 2015. The trailer has Minnesota plates, expired 1990. Both the trailer and glider are in extremely poor condition.

Our guess is that the assemblage was probably sold to someone by Mr LaValley or his estate, and that the new owner neglected to register the stuff in his name. That said, how it made its’ way from Minnesota to our tiedown area in Byron California is a complete mystery to us, so if anyone has any genuinely helpful information we’d sure appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Brian Roach, Secretary NCSA
Brian DOT L DOT Roach1 AT gmail DOT com

I knew Frank but didn't recall that he ever owned an Austria (I used to own a Std Austria S model, but that ship is still in MN).

As to the trailer and licensing, Minnesota many years ago switched to a one-time trailer license fee that no longer requires plates but instead a sticker affixed to the trailer tongue.