Old May 8th 04, 05:08 PM
Teacherjh

Such areas don't tend to have a lot of towered fields so
there wouldn't be too many to examine for the R. I don't see a problem.

The idea is to make life easier, not to make life "not that much harder". From
this pilot's perspective, looking one place for info is easier than looking
several places. Redundancy is sometimes a good idea (the quadrant altitudes
are redundant, but quite handy). True, there are tradeoffs (chart clutter, the
needs of other chart users, and the effort involved in charting more symbols);
I'm just addressing one side of it.

Thirty miles is distant? That's about half the nominal range of ASR.

I pulled the number out of my anatomy. (actually I remember seeing that figure
here in the newsgroups somewhere, but the exact figure isn't important to my
answer - I don't know what it is and suspect it's also terrain dependent)

What specific radar services are you talking about? I thought we were
talking about traffic advisories to VFR aircraft.

I don't know. An ASR approach maybe? (Yes, I got and learned from your reply
that ASR appraches aren't always available at an ASR site) But, IF there's a
symbol that says I can get "stuff" somewhere, I'd like to know what "stuff" I
can get. Then I can decide whether I want it, and whether the symbol really
gave me any useful inforamtion. When I want VFR advisories (whether I'm
landing at those airports or not), I call approach or center and ask for them,
symbol or no symbol. Should I do differently?

I find most of my VFR cross country flights to be quite leisurely. I don't
see how putting an R at every airport within range of the ASR does anything
other than put a lot of Rs on the sectional.

I pretty much agree here. Symbol clutter is already getting out of hand.

If you know where the ASR is
located, and you have a rudimentary knowledge
of radar, then you have a good
idea where radar services are available.

For flight following, I jsut call them, R or no R. I don't study all the
airports in a (ok, lets make it) 60 mile range of my course line to see what
the radar situation is. So, I won't likely notice the R if it's not at my
destination or near it.

You shouldn't hit the soup VFR.

No, of course not. I was attemting a humorous illustration, but it does
happen.

If CTAF was well understood the C symbol wouldn't have been created.
Probably the most common error was using the Unicom frequency for advisories
at locations with part-time towers. Now you'll find the C symbol following
the tower frequency at those locations.

WARNING SILICA GEL DO NOT EAT.

Gee, I just bought a new camera and they included a little snack!

===

So, the R means that, AT THAT AIRPORT is located the antenna for the same kind
of radar services (or the same range of kinds of radar services) offered at an
ARSA, C, or B. However, unlike an ARSA, there are no altitude ranges and
lateral limits made known to the pilots. So, I'm still scratching my head a
bit (and suspect the answer has to do with politics, salary grades, and
history)....

What is the difference between the airspace IN an ARSA, the airspace nearby but
OUTSIDE an ARSA, and the airspace outside ARSA, C, and B, but "near" an (R)?

I suspect: ARSA, C, and B provide =separation= to certain participating
aircraft (of varying levels) and the (R) provides advisories but no separation.

Yes?

Jose