Old May 9th 04, 04:18 AM
Teacherjh

Where you find ASR you tend to find ASR services.

But where you don't find ASR, you don't tend not to find ASR services.

It takes me a fraction of a second to
determine an airport has ASR.

But how long to find the airport (on the chart) in the first place? i.e. once
you've determined that XAV has no (R) you need to find the next nearest
airport... and see if it has an (R). That time counts too.

You know they're there to be called because they answer when called? Sounds
rather circular.

I'm playing with you, but just a little. When I take off, I know what the
departure frequency is. (I look it up in the A/FD). Once I contact them. I'm
in. They hand me off as needed, or suggest "contact Xannadu approach in twenty
miles on 113.325".

If (it's never happened to me) they just drop me with no clue, then I suppose
if I scramble around my charts, I'll find an (R) someplace there's radar. OK,
now I know there's radar. Now what? I still gotta call someone to get it.
The tower?

Far more useful would be the frequency to call on, and boundaries as to where,
though I do appreciate that there are good reasons not to put this on the
charts. I just haven't decided whether these good reasons are good enough.

But what do I get in an (R)?

It's questions like that suggest you're not familiar with radar.

And it's the lack of an answer that suggests the same thing to me. Radar is
that radio wave bounce thing, right? Like a rubber ball full of electrons and
morse codes.

An airport has an (R). What does that really tell me other than that the
facility is located there? What can I get in terms of advisories and
separation, and how far out, and who do I call?

Jose