Old May 15th 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Thu, 14 May 2020 18:09:15 -0700, Dirk_PW wrote:

So this confirms for me what I do on every flight is a good course of
action (even though it has been a very controversial subject on this
site)... That is, I hold the release handle during tow. No, I don't
latch my fingers around it and grip it like I'm coming out of a bull
riding chute on an angry bull. I do however, have physical contact with
it through the first 1000 ft of tow. I grip it with my index finger and
middle finger (mimicking a pair of scissors wanting to cut the handle).
There is no way to accidentally release in turbulence, but more
importantly there is no searching for the handle if I need to get off.
The other side benefit is that it prevents me from dealing with stupid
distractions in the cockpit since one hand is on the stick, the other is
touching the release.

Ok, let the negative reactions begin... (I've got my popcorn and beer).

I agree. That's what I was taught (for both winch and aero-tow) and
that's what I do. I like your reasoning too - fingers on the release
means yo have to make a concious decision to let go it it before you grab
anything else. I was also taught the 'lock and push up' canopy closing
routine from my first training flight, alongside the BGS's standard pre-
launch checklist.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org