Old January 18th 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

Default Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer

On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:38:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat.

Thanks,

GK

I went through these questions a couple of years ago. I was sick for a season in Florida, and the pine pollen becomes mildew, which burrows down into the gel coat until wax wouldn't take it off. So I started asking advice, and I got so many answers: 2 part poly, 2 part poly + clear coat, just mix 30% clear coat in with the poly, forget the poly and just use clear coat.

Then I phoned Tim Mara. He suggested the Cyclo polisher (http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm), which I thought was rather pricey. Tim promised I would not regret it. I bought it and used it with Aqua Buff fibreglass buffing compound, - 90 minutes with the 1000 and 60 minutes with the 2000 (no longer available I believe), and then some Nu Finish car wax, and it looks ALMOST new.

And I have used this reciprocating buffer on other projects, let bursary kids at my club use it and other members, and all love it.

I suggest you talk to Tim at Wings and Wheels.