Old July 11th 04, 04:20 PM
Ron Wanttaja

Default Goodyear Brake Pucks - Cheap!

Back about thirty years or so, Cleveland wheels and brakes became popular
replacements for the Goodyear systems on planes like older Cessna 172s.
These used wheel and brake sets often ended up on the homebuilt market.

My own Fly Baby has one of these units. About a year and a half ago, a
through-bolt came loose on one of my wheels and munched the brake puck on
one of my Goodyears. The puck is just a flat little kidney-shaped pad
about an inch across, but I was astounded to find the replacement cost was
about $200, with the only source apparently being Aircraft Spruce.

Being naturally cheap (and recently downsized from my job), I was loath to
pay that much, so I bought a hunk of scrap brake-pad material from the
local auto-brake store and cut my own.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/brake.HTM

Soon after I posted my experiences with that, someone pointed out that
Barry Jay aviation sold the pads for $15. But not long after *that*,
Aircraft Spruce bought out Barry Jay and the $15 pads disappeared.

Last week, though, I happily noticed that ACS is having a Close-Out sale on
the old Barry Jay inventory, and the cheap pads are included!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/barryjay.php

So if you have Goodyears, you might consider stocking up on brake pads. Be
advised that the price is *per pair*. I ordered what I thought was "A pair
and a spare", and now have eight pads....

Ron Wanttaja