Old December 1st 19, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim O'Donnell

Default Damage from bird strike?

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 10:04:57 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A few weeks ago one of our local Warner Springs pilots had a midair with a hawk on the leading edge of his D2 resulting in substantial damage. One can view on Yankee Composite's social media. Question is, how many have suffered damage needing repair after a bird strike, in a glider? Please share your story.

I once was flying down a ridge at Hood River, OR when I noticed something moving in my peripheral vision, I turned my head toward the side and saw what looked like a golden eagle in some sort of backpedal mode maneuvering near my wingtip. It appeared to hit the wingtip and rolled over the top of the wing. I remember distinctly that feathers were folded over the top side and bottom as well, I felt no impact. I turned rapidly to see if I could ID the thing but it apparently dove for the trees below and I never saw it again.

I doubt that I struck the body as they are typically big, heavy birds and I saw no evidence of a direct hit. We often see raptors flying on the ridge during migrations as the route comes through the area. I don't think the eagles have any predators and they aren't afraid of gliders but the hawks are a different story. The hawks seem to always dive away when approached by a glider.

Tim O'Donnell