Old January 20th 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Schleicher cockpit

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 1:52:52 PM UTC-8, Karl Striedieck wrote:
I called Waibel a couple weeks ago to chat and congratulate him for the Lilienthal medal he recently received from OSTIV for his leadership in making gliders more crash resistant...

In 2002 I went to Tehachapi for the annual Experimental Soaring Association convention. When I arrived I found Waibel clad in grubby T-shirt and shorts, cheerfully sweeping out the hangar where that night he would deliver that year's SSA Barnaby lecture on the future of sailplane development.