Old January 23rd 20, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Schleicher cockpit

By comparing with a DG100 you are starting from an excellent cockpit design, as it was built with a double shell unitary structure which was a very advanced feature, probably unique in its era. It would have deserved a prize, if any were issued at that time.
The ASW24 and all AS derivatives deserved the Ostiv Prize 100% as they're a significant step forward.
I've seen an Antares cockpit, or rather what remained of it after a 20g, 30° nose down crash IIRC. It has a more advanced safety cage. The pilot was lightly wounded.
I'd feel significantly less protected in an UL glider, or in first generations glass ships.
No cockpit features can protect the pilot in an impact against exposed rocks.

Aldo Cernezzi