Old February 25th 20, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Ground Launch Training - Winch and Auto

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 4:17:21 PM UTC+13, Jim S wrote:
It appears that Cross Country Soaring in MN performs winch launches and maybe training? Anybody else have any suggestions for glider clubs performing / offering training in ground launch?

As a USA resident I did 35 winch launches at
https://soar.co.nz/ They have great instructors, a relatively new winch, capable winch operators, DG1000s, seven day a week operations and they're a club. Cost is very reasonable. 2000 foot launches are typical. Welcoming to overseas pilots. Operates Dec-March.

I also did Karl Striedieck's weekend training seminar... 12 launches at Eagle Field, which was epic, and great 'land out' training. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQtkLI24dA

Winch launching is great fun and the training is worthwhile even if you don't have the opportunity to winch launch at home. It trains the reflex/habit to drop the nose before turning, and that reflex also applies to rope break scenarios on aerotow (or winch). It also tunes up your ability to execute non-standard abbreviated patterns with simulated winch rope breaks at various altitudes. I think those skills may save my life if I ever have an aerotow rope break. Every winch launch involves a sort of 'simulated rope break' and dropping the nose before turning on every launch (many many times) forms the habit that is protective during a real aerotow rope break.

I think winching also sharpened my focus during the aerotow takeoff phase, and that has surely come in handy.