Old December 31st 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

Default flaps again

On Jan 1, 1:23 am, Denny wrote:
On Dec 30, 9:38 pm, Al wrote:

I love the manual flaps in my Cessna 172E

Al
SFF
Spokane, WA

Kobra wrote:
Flyers,

First, as a reminder, some may recall that I had unwittingly landed one day
in Williamsburg, VA without the flaps. I didn't notice they had not
deployed until my next pre-flight when I found them INOP. - Hide quoted text -

Ya know, flaps are not the only way to land... Once you have mastered
the basics and gotten the rating, you need to keep expanding your zone
of comfort...
Try some half flap landings, followed by quarter flap landings,
followed by no flap landings... Cross wind landings... And on a light
wind day emphasis, LIGHT do a downwind landing and a downwind
takeoff...
The aircraft will feel different scary different for some and the
sight picture out the windshield will be different... All of these
will be learning experiences that will increase your zone of comfort
in handling the plane in the future...
The major difference between Joe Pilot you and me and some hotshot
airshow or military pilot is that they have worked their zone of
comfort up to having the aircraft on the very edge of 'out of
control...
Notice I am not advocating doing dangerous things, but simply,
stepwise, to increase your zone of comfort inside of the aircrafts
performance envelope...

denny

Don't you have to demonstrate flapless, short field and normal
landings as part of you certificate?

Cheers