Old February 2nd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
paul k. sanchez

Default GDL69A or GPS 496?

On Jan 31, 11:50*am, Jay Maynard
wrote:
I flew with my boss for steak at Harris Ranch last night in his A36. On the
way, we got to talking about GPS systems. He's got a Garmin 396, and was
telling me that it (and the 496) would talk to the GNS430W the same way as
the GDL69A, complete with showing the weather on both screens and
transferring data between them. This seems seriously nifty, since it's $4000
cheaper than the GDL69A. If that's the case, why does anyone buy the
dedicated box?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC * * * * * * * * *http://www.conmicro.comhttp://jmaynard.livejournal.com* * *http://www.tronguy.nethttp://www..hercules-390.org* * * * * * * (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff athttp://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

I would suggest your boss read up on the Garmin GNS430W installation
guide, and point out to you where the GXM30 is harnessed to it via
USB. Obviously he knows features about the GNS430W that I do not.