Old May 1st 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_3_]

Default Help With My training

Gezellig wrote:

One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this

Your feet will get the hang of it with practice. Once you're moving
it's more about holding the pressure (sort of like the gas pedal in your
car to hold a speed) than moving the pedal.

As with all control inputs in airplanes, generally if you're reacting or
"chasing" the plane you're trying too hard. You'll get the feel of what
keeps the plane pointed in the right direction and hold it with your feet.

Also, make sure you're not stepping on the toe brakes. That not only
wears down the brake pads, it exaggerates your turn and causes you to
have to make more dramatic corrections.

Cheers, and good flying!

-c