Old June 4th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default CFI oral intel

More_Flaps wrote in
:

On Jun 4, 9:38*pm, Michael Ash wrote:
In rec.aviation.student Gezellig wrote:

Michael Ash pretended :
In rec.aviation.student Gezellig wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 01:20:04 -0500, Michael Ash wrote:

Joking aside, if your straps were loose enough that you could
slump forward, that *would* affect your CG which would in turn
affect your trimmed airspeed.

There's another issue that I just thought of that I don't think
anyon

e has
mentioned yet, though. Won't you get into a graveyard (bad
terminolog

y for
this scenario, as you're already dead) spiral? After all, if you
coul

stay straight and level just by taking your hands off the
controls yo

wouldn't need to fear IMC with no gyroscopic instruments. So it
seems

that
if you start high enough, the correct answer to this question
would b

whatever the terminal velocity of your fuselage is without its
wings.

Am I
off base here?

You fly until gassless, stall, nose down, then descend too
rapidly, striking the ground with the wings ripped off. Works for
me.

You don't stall, because when the engine quits the airplane will
start

descend, maintaining approximately the original airspeed.

At what point do you expect to lose the wings via "the correct
answer to this question would be whatever the terminal velocity of
your fuselage is without its wings."?

If you enter a spiral dive as I surmised, the wings fall off either
when you exceed Vne or when you exceed the maximum loading the wings
can support, whichever comes first. However it would seem that
whether this happens or not will depend on the airplane in question.

If the plane is in a steady dive at 2x VNE what is the wing loading?
VNE may be set by srface instability (flutter) or perhaps engine
overspeed but is not set by wing loading -that is Va -at least that's
my understanding.

That's right, but the tendency to flutter is exacerbated by load. So, if
you're over redline and you're loading the wing, flutter will occur at a
lower speed than if that surface was unloaded. Flutter is all to do with
the elastic properties of the flight surface, so if it's loaded up
you're exciting the cycle.

Bertie