Old January 8th 19, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Adjusting the canopy frame on an Arcus M

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:52:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello All,

Our Arcus M canopy has always had a problem with proper closure and securement. Despite the passage of three years time, the problem is now better and worse not better. I have read all the advice and comments on a solution to this problem. The glider has been always hangared and cared for lovingly. We have had to abandon some flying days because of not being able to secure the canopy closed. We live in Michigan and have had problems on warm days, not just blistering hot days. The only solution seems to be sanding the canopy combing (frame), reducing the for and aft length of the frame.

Does anyone have any experience with this solution ? I have spoken to David Nadler who was most kind and who has had to do this himself to his Arcus before the "event". Heinz Weissenbuhler has been most kind as well.

All serious advice and recommendations will certainly be most graciously appreciated.

Sincerely,

Had that issue years ago on an older plastic glider in our club. I am not sure if this was the original canopy or already a replacement, that was just poorly fitted. Anyhow, we used strips of carbon copy paper (remember that stuff?) over the ledge and repeatedly closed and opened the canopy. The carbon left nice rubbings indicating where to sand off the interfering material.
I am not familiar with the Arcus design but it may work there as well.

Uli
'AS'