Old November 27th 04, 03:56 AM
Gord Beaman

Bob Moore wrote:

BTW Gord, just in case you are not that familiar with civilian
jet transports, takeoff thrust does not equate to full throttle.
T.O. thrust is set in acordance with pressure/temperature charts
always with some throttle left to account for the hot/high day.

Bob Moore

Very interesting Bob, thanks. I certainly won't be arguing with
HIM any time soon and yes, I'm familiar with less than full
throttle 'full power'. I'm very familiar with large radial recips
most of which have very definite power limits well short of the
firewall. But we always used those limits no matter what
conditions prevailed and I didn't know that large jet a/c used
anything less. I gather that the 747 freighter loss at Halifax
Canada had approx. the proper weight calculated but that It was
some 55 Km PH low in speed and that there was some controversy as
to whether he had used the whole runway.

--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)