Old July 17th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Burns

Default Trailer Ramp Jack - NO SCREWS - follow up

At 13:14 17 July 2012, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, July 16, 2012 2:42:49 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

One =A0good solution used on a jantar is a jack to lift a motorcycle=

..
Best after market solution!
S6

=20
1. Too heavy
2. Too bulky
3. Thrust bearings tend to break
=20
So no it is not the best after market solution. Been there, tried
that.

I'll second that. I've now rebuilt the original scissors jack for my

1999
=
Komet trailer 3 times; the outer thrust bearing has failed yet again.

=
still kick myself for returning the screw-jack version that they
accidental=
ly shipped when I first bought the trailer. Simple, robust, relatively
lig=
ht, and works as well at zero height as it does at full extension. =20

I looked at the motorcycle jack (Big Red or somesuch) at my local
motorcycl=
e dealer. The thing weighs nearly 40 pounds! And, there wasn't any
reas=
on to expect it to last any longer under the repeated cycles of use in

the
=
grass and gravel that's typical at our airport.=20

In the meantime, the UPS truck should be arriving at my house tomorrow
with=
the pieces to make an over-center lever job. If I could just come up
wit=
h a slightly more elegant way to store the long handle, I would be
complete=
ly happy!=20

a telescoping handle will be shorter and easier to store. should work