Old May 17th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default Tow Pilot Currency and Proficiency

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:43:02 AM UTC-7, Walt Connelly wrote:
snipped out a hunk

I was a bit surprised to learn exactly what was
required to remain current as a tow pilot. As stated, a tow pilot is
required to either do three actual or simulated tows in the preceding 24
months while accompanied by another qualified, current tow pilot…..OR by
making three launches by aerotow as pilot in command of a glider in the
preceding 24 months. It is this second manner of regaining currency
that I find nebulous. This method certainly doesn’t speak to the
proficiency of said pilot in a tow plane.

Walt:
Think about it this way....
those towing regs haven't changed in a good long time (2004, 2009).
Maybe we're just building some awareness of the reg (a good thing).

A towpilot gets to ride with another tow pilot once every 24 months and
hopefully have someone to talk with regarding signals, procedures, the peculiarities of towing; unless they are actively being towed in the glider
on the other end, and being reminded how important the tow-champion-pilot is to the safety of the parade. (We can do that in ASEL and simulate lowered rate of climb, if there is no two-seat tug around.)

The FAA allows someone who spends some regular time ( maybe a veneer with only 3 tows in a year) being towed -- to expose themselves to the responsibility of
being up front. Perhaps the FAA view is that a current glider pilot is more likely to remember what a glider pilot would want from a towpilot.

Personally, I instruct a lot in gliders, seldom keep 90 day recency in single-engine lately, but I am qualified to give a towing endorsement. Yet, to do that part of the work in ASEL, I would need to go do three full stops to get category currency before being PIC in a two-seat tug with another human. I would want a few takeoffs and landings in any tug, before I hooked a glider behind me. According to the FARs, I don't need another towpilot to refresh me -- because the accident record for folks like me don't justify changing the reg to be any more restrictive. (Thanks be.)

About Student Pilots: this 2016 change is a result of US Congressional mandate to background check 'all' student pilots before flight training as a result of 9/11/2001. FAA held it off about as long as they could . . . .
and it is less of a change than you might imagine.

...my understanding is that now one
cannot apply until they are 14 years of age yet a 14 year old is
permitted to solo a glider on their birthday but without the student
pilot certificate that cannot happen.

A youngster could never be issued a Student Cert before their 14th birthday.. But the methods of issuance had several ways of collecting one at 8 or 9 am
on the youngster's birthday, allowing them to fly later that same day. They could collect the certificate in an AME office, at a DPE's convenience or in the FSDO office.

Right now, the FAA says they cannot APPLY till they are 14, on-line applications only(mostly), and then wait two or three weeks for the airman card to be issued. SSA is pursuing the option to APPLY prior to the magic day, and have the applicant background checked ( hah)
and the card created and mailed with an issuance date of the birthday.

I wonder how much input there might be from high time tow pilots and
glider pilots, instructors and glider port operators to the agency when
such regulations are established? Seems like there is a major
disconnect somewhere.

Walt

Yeah - there is a disconnect.
Much as all the alphabet groups would LOVE to have conversations with the FAA staff following an NPRM and prior to FAA issuing a final rule.... the FAA's own rules prohibit them from doing that ( being lobbied they call it). Hence we have these bug-a-boos that Washington staff didn't foresee, due to them not envisioning every nuance of the different categories.

SSA is working with FAA. We really do expect to have a couple things worked out this summer in favor of soaring. So please, encourage folks to continue to renew memberships and support the SSA's work. And we do encourage folks to comment on NPRMs about soaring when they occur, tow pilots, sailplane owners, A&Ps, clubs officers, gliderport owners. All of us.

Thanks for listening patiently.

Cindy B
SSA Region 12 Director