Old October 29th 04, 11:34 PM
Kobra

Lately, I've been wondering whether the *real* value of something like the
newer handheld GPSs with terrain alerting (i.e. Garmin 296) might actually
be greater.

The 296 is small, light, has a big screen, is easy to use, is fast to update
the screen, has 256 colors, has sectional shading, has terrain warnings, has
a glass panel and has voice turn by turn directions for your car. (once you
get to your destination, pull it off the yoke and put it on the dash and now
you'll know where the hotel is and all the great restaurants)

Also the 296 includes a "Nearest Weather Station" and "Nearest FSS" tab if
you press the "Nearest" button. It's handy if you are landing at an ap with
no weather reporting. Also it is good for enroute updates on the weather.
Further, the 296 has a built in weight and balance calculator that can be
customized for any plane. In a matter of three seconds you can have the
weight and balance and never pick up a pencil.

All the IFR approaches are in the database, but on the negative side they
start at the FAF and not at an IAF. They don't give any altitude
information and the missed approach proceedure is not on there.

All-in-all, dollar-for-dollar that's a lot of bang for the buck and a whole
lot of function for 1,695.00.

Gene Wentzel, DC
'71 177RG

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
link.net...
OK, here's a new take on an old debate:

I fly a 172 with 2 good NAV/COMs, an M1 Loran and a flaky ADF in the
Northeast US. Since everything up here is airways and most of the fields I
go to have an ILS or LOC approach, this is enough to get away with on most
of the flights I take. This is the plane I got my ticket in so I'm used to
it.

I've been thinking about trying to talk my partners into floating the 6k
or
so to install a basic IFR-certified GPS like a GX-50 or similar. No, we
cannot afford a GNS-430/480 so that is not part of the decision matrix.

Lately, I've been wondering whether the *real* value of something like the
newer handheld GPSs with terrain alerting (i.e. Garmin 296) might actually
be greater. I know it's not certified, but the certified GPS will do
nothing
to warn me that I'm rapidly approaching cumulogranite for whatever reason.

Let's say I cannot get both the handheld and the panel-mount: What would
you
choose?

-cwk.