Old November 9th 04, 01:03 AM
Michael

"C Kingsbury" wrote
Lately, I've been wondering whether the *real* value of something like the
newer handheld GPSs with terrain alerting (i.e. Garmin 296) might actually
be greater. I know it's not certified, but the certified GPS will do nothing
to warn me that I'm rapidly approaching cumulogranite for whatever reason.

Let's say I cannot get both the handheld and the panel-mount: What would you
choose?

Well, let's look at it another way. Since you don't really need to
fly GPS approaches and direct routings are not generally possible in
your neck of the woods, the only real benefit of IFR certified GPS is
the supposed increased safety of an IFR-approved installation.
Against that, you have the increased safety of terrain info.

Hmm, let's see, terrain info or blessing by government bureaucrats...

Doesn't sound like much of a a choice at all.

Michael